Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Kurt


I was a three years old when Kurt Cobain died on April 4, 1994. I don't remember when the news broke, or the hysteria that ensued afterwards, but I do remember the first time i heard Nirvana's Unplugged album. His version of "The Man Who Sold the World," is my favorite take on the song (yeah, it IS better than Bowie's) and I know that if I was born a decade earlier, I would have been among the millions of fans mourning and celebrating the life of one of the greatest artists to ever live. Even though he wilted under the mainstream spotlight, he ultimately paved the way for the various incarnations of alternative rock that exists in the music scene today. And he was a total babe.

Meanwhile, in Russia... a street performer by the name of Nikolay Petrovsky is the focus of a video that's been circling the interwebs over the last month. The Siberian musician's voice sounds eerily close to the beautifully strained vocals of the pioneer of grunge and the last great rock star, Kurt Cobain. Here he is singing "Pennyroyal Tea." Click play and have a listen!



And just for good measure...






No comments:

Post a Comment