Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hellaween and the local scene


I realize we're still a few days out, but since Halloween is on a Wednesday this year and this last weekend was the unofficial but publicly understood time to dress up and get weird, I figured I'd wish everyone on the interwebs a happy and safe All Hallow's Eve. This year I dressed up as pop art by Roy Lichtenstein--a risky choice considering the make up-heavy look could have gotten extremely messy/scary throughout the night.

Anyways, I've recently (finally) confronted the conclusion that I need to immerse myself into the local music scene for so many reasons, not least of which is the fact that this is my city and music is one of my favorite things to write about. After talking to my friend Peter of Down and Outlaws, a raw, blues-tinged rock and roll band that gorgeously and appropriately employs a harmonica, he kindly offered to keep me in the loop about the better local shows going on in the city. He also told me that at any given show I'd meet a bunch of people who either play in other bands or know of another band I should be familiar with. That claim proved entirely true after I caught a Down and Outlaws set at 50 Mason last Tuesday. The night just happened to be a weekly event called Scared to Dance, which features three or four rock bands hand-picked by Nic, 50 Mason's bartender and vocalist/guitarist of Zodiac Death Valley. Nic was nice enough to tell me a little about the bands he chooses for Scared to Dance, and from what I've gathered, he's very proud of bringing real rock bands together for a FREE night of music. I'll definitely be making it out to another Tuesday night at 50 Mason, and if you're looking to catch some live music in an laid back bar setting you should too! Did I mention it was free?

In the next few weeks, expect a lot of local band coverage because a lot of rad stuff is going on.

Last thursday, I caught the EP release party for an americana indie rock band named Brother Pacific and currently reviewing its Give it to Me EP for the eventseekr blog. Check in sometime later this week for the link!

Also, Down and Outlaws are playing a show at El Rio on November 4. The band makes some seriously raw, loud tunes and the venue has the best back patio ever, so come out! In the meantime, here's a video of the band playing "Back into Your Arms."



No comments:

Post a Comment